Richard O. Visscher, P.Eng. (Alberta & Yukon) PE (Arizona) P.Eng. (Retired) graduated from the University of Alberta in 1978 and has been a member of APEGBC from May 6th, 1981. He moved to the Okanagan in 1981 to work with AcuTruss and AcuJoist.
Our Founder /
Richard O. Visscher
Founder, P.Eng. (Retired)
In 1997, Richard ventured out on his own and started ROV Consulting out of his home office. Since then, the company has grown, and now has two beautiful offices located within the prestigious INVUE Building. Richard has been involved in the construction industry for over 40 years in various capacities.
- 1977 B. Sc. in Civil Engineering from the University of Alberta
- 1981-2015 Member of the Association of Professional Engineers of British Columbia
- 1997 Member of the Association of Professional Engineers of Alberta
- 1998 Member of the Association of Professional Engineers of Arizona
- 2013 Member of the Association of Professional Engineers of the Yukon
Where we came from /
Richard has lived and worked in the Okanagan Valley since 1979. He worked for a local Truss Company starting in late 1981, there he was instrumental in the introduction, technical development & sales of I-joist to the local building industry, for a stronger, quieter floor in all our homes. The engineered product also uses less wood making it more sustainable. Another advantage of this is the ability of I Joist to span much longer spans than conventional 2×10’s which made dramatic changes in the possibilities of building designs in the valley. The highest utilization of I joists in North America for several years has been in the Okanagan thanks in large part to Richard.
He also introduced the complex computer driven truss programs that made the style of our homes change from the rectangular boxes of the post war era into the interesting and complex cottage roof systems that have given our valley the distinctive architectural style we have enjoyed for decades.
With his many contacts and his towering reputation for his innovative & cost saving ideas Richard created ROV Consulting Inc. in 1997. Initially the focus of his business was on parts of the home that were beyond the scope of Part 9 in the building code. This included:
- Richard spearheading the raising of basement walls from the standard 7’-4” height up to the 9’-10’ which have now become the vastly appreciated norm today.
- Richard introduced the lighter weight suspended floor systems to support residential garages with basements below.
- Richard helped designers understand how to create homes with stepped ceilings and tall walls and many other details that have allowed for enhanced creativity in the design in our homes.
- Richard also aided the local Authorities having Jurisdiction from an engineering perspective on the code changes and requirements while also supporting the adoption of the uniform standards now used by them throughout the valley.
Richard spent hundreds of hours teaching and training, in detail, not only technologist and engineers but homeowners and contractors more efficient and cost-effective ways for building and constructing houses that would extend the buildings life decades into the future. When the Okanagan college or a the KSS technical program utilized students, Richard was always willing to spend extra time on the job site teaching the young people valuable lessons about engineering and what elements are important to the integrity of the structure.
Richard has shown respect to all individuals in the construction sector, from laborers to framers, builders to developers, and buyers to homeowners.
Richard has shown respect to all individuals in the construction sector, from laborers to framers, builders to developers, and buyers to homeowners. His approachable, down to earth rapport puts everyone on an equal level as he appreciates the input of those involved. He has an excellent ability to brainstorm and collaborate with clients, designers and his peers, which has led to many outstanding innovations in homes throughout the valley.
Richard has made a concerted effort to service his clients with integrity and efficiency. As his company grew, he methodically employed many bright young engineers and technologists. He has been a mentor to many young engineers in training as well as a Business Mentor to several local business owners. In 2010 Richard moved ROV Consulting Inc. into an impressive new office space where the environment elevates engineering to the professional standards, he believes it holds.
In the last decade, the ROV Consulting Team, under the leadership of Richard has engineered:
- Several Award-winning homes
- Many Single-Family award-winning homes
Projects of special note:
- Engineering the lifting and hanging of an airplane on permanent display at the Okanagan College new Trades Building.
- Engineering houses on stilts to enable extremely steep lots to be utilized.
- Engineering the lifting and beam retrofit for a collapsed school gym roof on Bella Bella.
- Engineering a cantilevered swimming pool out over the edge of a cliff.
- Engineering the metal roof forming system to enable over 1000 community buildings to be built in India in 2000.
- Innovatively engineering an alternate foundation system for the Grand hotel parkade addition.
2020 CHBA CO OHAE Gala /
Lifetime Achievement Award
Richard has carefully planned his retirement and succession plan with the goal of maintaining the service, integrity and efficiency his clients associate with ROV Consulting Inc. and that those who have assumed the engineering work do so with the utmost respect for their clients and their professional responsibility.
Richard has received pier recognition in several journals and magazines. He was awarded the SICA 2019 Construction Leadership Award and was most recently awarded with the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Okanagan Housing Awards of Excellence (OHAE).
Richard has received the SICA 2019 Construction Leadership Award and the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Okanagan Housing Awards of Excellence (OHAE).
Who we Are /
We have a dynamic team of innovative, intelligent and inventive engineers.
ROV Consulting Inc. provides funds for continuing education of its employees. We have successfully proven our innovation on many projects and have repeatedly produced designs that are less expensive to build, while still providing the strength, longevity and code requirements of all applicable Building Codes.